Scroll down to view links to support
Sober Command Resources
THE ALCOHOLISM TEST FROM THE 1940’S
The prospective member of A.A. may have some doubts if he is actually an alcoholic. A.A. in Akron has found a yardstick prepared by psychiatrists of Johns Hopkins University to be very valuable in helping the alcoholic decide for himself.
Have your prospect answer the following questions, being as honest as possible with himself in deciding the answers. If he answers YES to one of the questions,
There is a definite warning that he MAY be an alcoholic. If he answers YES to any two, the chances are that he IS an alcoholic. If he answers YES to any three or more, he IS DEFINITELY an alcoholic and in need of help.
1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking? YES / NO
2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy? YES / NO
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people? YES / NO
4. Is drinking affecting your reputation? YES / NO
5. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of drinking? YES / NO
6. Do you steal, pawn property, or “borrow” to get money for alcoholic beverages? YES / NO
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking? YES / NO
8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare? YES / NO
9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking? YES / NO
10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily? YES / NO
1 1. Have you ever needed to drink the next morning? YES / NO
12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping? YES / NO
13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking? YES / NO
14. Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business? YES / NO
15. Do you drink to escape from worries or troubles? YES / NO
16. Do you or do you prefer to drink alone? YES / NO
17. Have you ever had a total loss of memory as a result of drinking? YES / NO
18. Has your physician ever treated you for YOUR drinking? YES / NO
19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence? YES / NO
20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of drinking? YES / NO
NOTE: PLEASE DON’T BE ALARMED IF YOU ANSWER YES TO ALL OF THE QUESTIONS.
IN FACT IT IS GOOD NEWS IF YOU DID – THAT MEANS WE HAVE AN ANSWER FOR YOU!